Friday, March 22, 2013

[californiadisasters] Re: No power. No phones. No internet. What would you do?

Lynn:

The original post was March 20th Post 21290
It contains a link to a website which is gathering thoughts and observations on the "no phone" issue.

Daithi
(former KB1ETU)


--- In californiadisasters@yahoogroups.com, ljmagnuson@... wrote:
>
> Thanks for the update on the Red Cross radios ... I actually did not know
> the frequency. I'll file that away for future reference!
>
> I worked with them for a short time in the early 2000's and found them way
> too bureaucratic for my taste, although I'll still help in an emergency
> involving ham radio, etc. Prefer to work with faith based groups myself ...
> and it actually doesn't matter which faith they're based in either, as long
> as they're observant. I just find they do a much better job when it comes to
> dealing with people in a compassionate fashion.
>
> I think ham radio works so well because it isn't tied to other utilities to
> work. A ham can come into an area and set up even if there are NO
> utilities at all (other than what they bring with them). Very valuable service.
> I've been a licensed "ham" (amateur radio operator) since the early 1970's
> when I began dabbling in electronics and technology, about the same time I
> took up computers. It's amazing how far technology has progressed, but a
> natural disaster (hurricane, earthquake,etc.) can throw us back to the "dark
> ages" even now. that's why ham radio should never be abandoned.
>
> As far as posting my ham radio comment on the original post ... I couldn't
> figure out just exactly what WAS the first comment in the group of
> comments. Anyone is free to repost this or my other comment if they wish, and I'll
> take note of it. Then, next time, I'll know which one is the first comment
> ... :)
>
> Lynn WB7PTR
> New Orleans, LA.
>




------------------------------------

Be sure to check out our Links Section at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters/links
Please join our Discussion Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters_discussion/ for topical but extended discussions started here or for less topical but nonetheless relevant messages.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
californiadisasters-digest@yahoogroups.com
californiadisasters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
californiadisasters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment